- WHO WE ARE
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM AND ABOUT YOU
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- CROSS-BORDER DATA TRANSFERS
- COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
- YOUR INFORMATION RIGHTS
- INFORMATION SECURITY RISKS AND PROCEDURES
- INFORMATION RETENTION AND DELETION GUIDELINES
- AGE RESTRICTION
- HOW TO CONTACT US
- EFFECTIVE DATE
230 Queens Quay W
Toronto, ON M5J 2Y7
We receive information from others about you
Your Facebook login is used to create and log into your Passionfruit account. This saves you from having to remember another user name and password and shares some basic information from your social media account with us that we need to create your profile, expediting the onboarding process and saving you precious time. If you login on Passionfruit via your Facebook login credentials, you are authorizing us to access and process certain Facebook account information. By allowing us to access your Facebook account, you understand that we may obtain and process the following information from your Facebook account: your name, date of birth, and gender. If you authorize and grant us permission to do so, we may also obtain and process your email address and list of Facebook friends. If your Facebook account is registered to a phone number (in lieu of an email address) and you authorize and grant us permission to obtain and process it in the same manner as an email address, we do not retain this information.
Other users may provide information about you as they use our services. For instance, we may collect information about you from other users if they contact us about you.
You give us information directly while using our services
- When you create an account, you provide us your gender (and optionally, an email address) if we cannot determine it from your Facebook information.
- When you contact us through our website, you give us your email address and your name.
- When you sign up for our Mailing List through our website, you give us your email address.
- When you participate in surveys, you give us your insights into our products and services, responses to our questions, and testimonials.
- If you contact our user support team, we collect the information you give us during the interaction. Sometimes, we monitor or record these interactions for training purposes and to ensure a high quality of service.
- We process your chats with other users, your search terms, and your passion words/phrases as part of the operation of the services.
We collect information from you as you use our services
We collect information about your activity on our services, for example, how you use them (e.g., dates and times you log in, searches you conduct, buttons you press, pages you open, settings you change) and how you interact with other users (e.g., users you connect and interact with, dates and times of your exchanges, number of messages you send and receive).
We collect information from and about the device(s) you use to access our services, including:
- hardware and software information such as IP address, device ID and type, device-specific and apps settings and characteristics, app crashes, browser type, version and language, operating system, time zones, identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser (e.g., IMEI/UDID and MAC address)
- information on your wireless and mobile network connection, like your service provider and signal strength
- information on device sensors such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, and compasses
If you give us permission, we can collect your precise geolocation (latitude and longitude) through various means, depending on the service and device you’re using, including GPS, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi connections. The collection of your geolocation may occur in the background even when you aren’t using the services if the permission you give us clearly permits such collection. If you decline permission for us to collect your geolocation, we will not collect it.
To administer accounts and provide services
- Create and manage your account
- Provide you with support, respond to your requests, and troubleshoot problems
- Communicate with you about our services
- Register you and display your profile on new Passionfruit features
To connect and introduce users to one another
- Match you with other users based on your and their search criteria (age range, distance limit, desired genders to match with), search words/phrases, and passion words/phrases
- Show users’ profiles to one another, and mutual Facebook friends they have in common including each other (we present information on common Facebook friends based on the permissions we have been given to obtain lists of Facebook friends during initial registration on Passionfruit, thus this type of information may be incomplete when presented to our users)
To improve our services and communicate changes and updates to you
- Administer surveys
- Conduct research and analysis of users’ behaviour to improve our services and content (for example, we may decide to change the look and feel or even substantially modify a given feature based on users’ behaviour)
- Develop new features and services
- If you’ve signed up for our Mailing List, we will send you emails regarding the latest updates and important news surrounding Passionfruit
To prevent, detect, and fight fraud, illegal activities, and unauthorized activities
- Address actual or alleged misbehaviour on and off our services
- Perform data analysis to better understand and design countermeasures against these activities
- Retain data related to fraudulent activities to prevent against recurrences
To ensure legal compliance
- Comply with legal requirements
- Assist law enforcement
- Enforce or exercise our rights, for example our Terms of Service
To process your information as described above, we rely on the following legal bases:
- Provide our service to you
Most of the time, the reason we process your information is to perform the contract that you have with us. For instance, as you go about using our service to build meaningful connections, we use your information to maintain your account and your profile, make it viewable to other users, and recommend other users to you.
- Legitimate interests
We may use your information where we have legitimate interests to do so. For instance, we analyze users’ behaviour on our services to continuously improve our services, and we process information for administrative, fraud detection, and other legal purposes.
- With other users
You share information with other users when you voluntarily disclose information on the service (including your public profile). Please be careful with your information and make sure you’re comfortable that the content you share is publically viewable since neither you nor we can control what others do with your information once you share it.
- With our service providers and partners
We use third parties to help us operate and improve our services. These third parties assist us with various tasks, including data hosting and maintenance, analytics, and user support. We follow a strict vetting process prior to engaging any service provider or working with any partner. All of our service providers and partners must agree to strict confidentiality obligations.
- For corporate transactions
We may transfer your information if we are involved, whether in whole or in part, in a merger, sale, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy, or other change of ownership or control.
- When required by law
We may disclose your information: (1) to comply with a legal process, such as a court order, subpoena or search warrant, government or law enforcement investigation, or other legal requirements; (2) to assist in the prevention or detection of crime (subject in each case to applicable law); (3) to protect the safety of any person.
- To enforce legal rights
We may also share information: (1) to mitigate our liability in an actual or threatened lawsuit; (2) to protect legal rights of our users, business partners, other interested parties, or ourselves; (3) to enforce our agreements with you; (4) to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud, or other wrongdoing.
- With your consent or at your request
We may ask for your consent to share your information with third parties. In any such case, we will make it clear why we want to share the information.
Sharing your information can involve cross-border data transfers between jurisdictions. For instance, where the service allows for users to be located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), their personal information is transferred to countries outside of the EEA. More broadly, if you live in a country with data protection laws, the storage of your personal data may not provide you with the same protections as you enjoy in your country of residence. By using our services, you agree to the transfer of your personal information to, and storage and processing of your personal information in, any such countries and destinations.
The following tools exist for you to control your information:
- Device permissions
Mobile platforms have permission systems for specific types of device data and notifications, such as location services and push notifications. You can change your settings on your device to either consent or oppose the collection of the corresponding information or the display of the corresponding notifications.
- Log out or uninstall
You can stop all information collection by Passionfruit by logging out of the app or uninstalling it using the standard uninstall process for your device. If you log back in, information collection will resume. If you uninstall the app from your mobile device, the unique identifier associated with your device will continue to be stored. If you re-install the application on the same mobile device, we will be able to re-associate this identifier to your previous activities.
- Account deletion
You can delete your account from within Passionfruit to permanently stop information collection. Section 10 of this document explains what happens to your existing information.
- Cancel Mailing List subscription
If you have signed up for our Mailing List and receive an email to your address as a result, you can unsubscribe via the instructions provided in that email. This will also remove your email address from our Mailing List database.
Your privacy rights further entitle you to the following privileges:
- You can request a copy of your personal information by contacting us through the contact information given at the end of this document.
- If you believe that the information we hold about you is inaccurate or that we are no longer entitled to use it and want to request its rectification, deletion, or object to its processing, please contact us.
- If you have concerns about how we process your personal information, you may have a right to lodge a complaint with an appropriate data protection authority. The data protection authority you can lodge a complaint with may be where you live, where you work, or where we are established.
For your protection and the protection of all of our users, we may ask you to provide proof of identity before we can answer any requests. We may reject requests for certain reasons, including if the request is unlawful or if it may infringe on the privacy of another user. If you wish to receive information relating to another user, such as a copy of any messages you received from them through our service, the other user will have to contact us to provide their written consent before the information is released. We may not be able to accommodate certain requests to object to the processing of personal information, notably where such requests would not allow us to provide our service to you anymore. For instance, we cannot provide our service if we do not have your date of birth.
Although we do our best to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information will always remain secure. We may suspend your use of our services if we suspect or detect any breach of security. If you believe that your account or information is no longer secure, please notify us immediately.
We retain your personal information for 3 months following account deletion. This allows us to restore your account in the event that your account deletion was accidental or you change your mind. After 3 months, we delete or anonymize (for statistical and product research purposes) your information.
There are certain exceptions that cause us to retain your information beyond our normal procedure. Namely:
- To comply with applicable law (for instance, some “traffic data” is kept for one year to comply with statutory data retention obligations)
- For our legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users’ safety and security (for example, information may need to be kept to prevent a user who was banned for unsafe behaviour or security incidents from opening a new account)
- An outstanding issue, claim, or dispute requires us to keep the relevant information until it is resolved
Although we carry out data deletion processes according to the above guidelines, we cannot promise that all data will be deleted within a specific timeframe due to technical constraints.
Our services are restricted to users who are 16 years of age or older. We do not permit users under the age of 16 on our platform and we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 16.
230 Queens Quay W
Toronto, ON M5J 2Y7